If you obtained PR through a special guardianship order(a court order appointing a guardian for the child), or a child arrangements order named you as the person the child will live with, you can lose your PR if the court later cancels that order. If you want to share PR for the child, you need to sign a formal parental responsibility agreement with the child’s mother. Parental Responsibility Order Section 4(1)(c) Children Act 1989: An order which unmarried fathers can apply for when the mother refuses to allow the father to be registered or re-registered on the birth certificate, or refuses to sign a Parental Responsibility Agreement with him. PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY: It defines the legal responsibilities and rights of a parent. He marries the mother at any point afterwards. How much does it cost to get parental responsibility? You automatically share PR with your child’s mother if you: In all other cases, you have no automatic right to PR. It would depend on where in the United Kingdom the child was born. It would apply when both parents are already married at the time the child is born. The laws apply to all mothers and most fathers. You will also need the child's birth certificate and some proof of your identity (e.g. When a parenting order is made, each person affected by the order must follow it. If you and the child’s mother ARE married, If you and the child’s mother AREN’T married. If you want this right, you can apply to the court for an order - this is called a "Parental Responsibility Order". Agreeing to medical treatment for the child. Please visit our web pages or contact us directly on 0114 358 9009. your child’s education, and where they go to school, the religion your child is brought up with (if any), your child’s health and any medical treatment they receive (such as vaccinations). The only way you can lose PR is if the child is adopted. This means that you will share parental responsibility with the child’s mother and also The information on this page is relevant to England and Wales only. 2nd female parent, father, or stepfather. There is a court fee of £215 for applying for a parental responsibility order through the courts. A series of events occurred over the following 3 years, predominantly concerning the children not wanting to live with their father (the father did not accept this and considered that their views were being manipulated by the mother). Often, both parents will have joint parental responsibility of a child. The court will consider: A court will typically grant an unmarried father PR, unless it has a strong reason not to do so. This is known as child maintenance or child support. What if a child is born abroad and then comes to live in the United Kingdom? Note: People on benefits or a low income may qualify for help with court fees. If a child is making this type of application, they first need the permission of the court. Fill in the application for an order (C1) and send it to your local county court or family proceedings court. Besides the mother, other adults can apply to get parental responsibility to care for children. The residence order will not affect your grandchild’s legal relationship with his or her parents nor will it take away their parental responsibility. Read more about child maintenance on this page. Parental responsibility doesn’t give you an automatic right to: By law, all mothers automatically have PR from when the child is born. Listed on the birth certificate. Read more about having a child through surrogacy at the UK government’s website or Surrogacy UK’s website. A step-parent would only have a legal duty to pay child maintenance if they had adopted the child via an adoption order. This rule applies from the 15th of April 2002 onward. Protecting and maintaining the welfare of the child. If partners use a surrogate to have a child they need to apply for a parental order to become a child's legal parent. Both parents must agree for it to be enforced. CONTACT | This applies whether your PR came through: However, these applications tend to be uncommon, and it’s very rare for a court to discharge a PR agreement or revoke a PR order. whether your child can leave the country, have contact with your child—by law, this is the child’s right, know where your child (and the other parent) is living—although you can apply to the court to have this information disclosed to you, were married to her, even if you later divorced, were not married but are named as father on the child’s birth certificate (for births registered after 1 December 2003; for births before that date, you have to apply for PR), applying for it—this involves going through the court and getting a, there’s a dispute about where the grandchild should live, you have serious concerns about the child’s welfare and how their parents are caring for them—social services might be involved too, physical, emotional and educational needs, age, sex, background and any other characteristics relevant to the court’s decision, how the change in circumstances would likely affect the child, what harm the child has suffered or may be at risk of suffering, whether the child’s parents are capable of fulfilling their parental rights and responsibilities, signed and witnessed by a justices’ clerk or court officer, filed at the Family Division of the High Court, whether he or she has demonstrated the appropriate level of commitment to be granted PR, the level of attachment between the parent and child.